Open-source software is increasingly popular worldwide, with individuals, government agencies, and industries from transportation to space exploration adopting free, open-source technologies. The employment of open-source in the corporate sector is changing conventional Information and Communication Technology (ICT) job descriptions by increasing the demand for Linux expertise.
In 2021, 100 percent of the world’s top 500 supercomputers were running Linux, as well as 96.3% of all servers in the world’s top 1 million. Furthermore, 23 out of the top 25 websites are powered by Linux, as is 90% of all cloud infrastructure. The same goes for many national and international banks, businesses, governments, and military departments. Every major space program now uses Linux in 2019. Also, 90% of Hollywood’s special effects were created on it. It’s also worth noting that 36.7% of all websites use Linux, while 54.1% of professional developers utilize it as a platform these days.
The Linux Essentials credential is a fantastic method to demonstrate your understanding of Linux and prove that you have the abilities needed for a beginning IT job. The certification covers several areas, including system administration, networking, and security. This certificate can help you get many different employment prospects, such as system administrator, network administrator, and security analyst, among others.
In conjunction with MyComputerCareer, you may benefit from all of the advantages that Linux certifications may provide. We offer training for both novice and expert IT certificates, as well as Linux Essentials, to ensure that you are well on your way. Validation of your skillset might help you stand out to hiring managers or your management team whether you’re seeking to advance your profession in the open-source sector.
Therefore, if you’re looking for a way to make your resume stand out, the Linux Essentials certification is a great option. This certificate is proof that you have the basic skills needed to work in the Linux operating system. This comprehensive guide will discuss the Linux Essentials certification, what it’s composed of, and how to prepare for the Linux Essentials 010-160 exam. We will look at some benefits of getting this certification and some of the jobs you can qualify for with it.
What Is The Linux Essentials Certification?
The Linux Professional Institute (LPI) offers a multi-level Linux professional certification program, and the first certification is Linux Essentials. The Linux Essentials exam (010-160) assesses basic Linux knowledge and abilities.
You must be familiar with the Linux operating system, use the command line, navigate directories, and work with files to pass this exam. You’ll also need to understand key ideas like networking, security, and system administration.
It’s worth noting that there are no educational or work experience requirements to take this exam and obtain the Linux Essentials certificate. Once received, this badge is valid for life, unlike other IT certifications that have an expiration date set, usually after three years. You’ll need to create an LPI ID and register with LPI to access the resources. There is no cost to register, and the process should not take more than a few minutes.
Candidates will be able to show they have fundamental Linux skills and knowledge after earning this certificate, which might help them find work in the IT sector or advance their careers. Systems or server administration, network engineering, and web development are just a few jobs that may benefit from the Linux Essentials certification.
The Linux Essential 010-160 Exam
The current 1.6 version of the Linux Essentials exam is (010-160). The LPI Linux Essentials 010-160 exam contains 40 questions that need to be answered in 60 minutes. The exam consists of both multiple-choice and fill-in-the-blank questions. The exam can also be taken in several languages such as English, German, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazilian), and Dutch.
The Linux 020-110 exam is for those who want to start a career in the Linux operating system. This test verifies your grasp of the Linux OS and command line, among other things. The Essential Linux certificate, above all, will assist you in proceeding to more professional and in-depth certifications.
What Do You Need To Know to Pass the Linux Essentials 010-160 Exam?
There are no prerequisites for taking the Linux Essentials Professional Development Certificate. However, the Linux Essentials Professional Development Certificate will assess your knowledge of key areas and parts. Also, see the following items to learn more about subjects:
- To begin with, you should be aware of FOSS, copyright laws, and the various communities.
- Furthermore, you should be familiar with the open-source software available in your workplace.
- Also, there are basic principles of hardware, methods, and programs. You should also be aware of the components of the Linux operating system.
- Last but not least, you should know how to use command lines, make and restore compressed backups and archives, as well as create and execute simple scripts.
The Linux Essentials 010-160 Exam Format
The 010-160 exam is also divided into five major objectives as follows:
Topic 1: The Linux Community and a Career in Open Source
- 1.1 Linux Evolution and Popular Operating Systems
- 1.2 Major Open Source Applications
- 1.3 Open Source Software and Licensing
- 1.4 ICT Skills and Working in Linux
Topic 2: Finding Your Way on a Linux System
- 2.1 Command Line Basics
- 2.2 Using the Command Line to Get Help
- 2.3 Using Directories and Listing Files
- 2.4 Creating, Moving, and Deleting Files
Topic 3: The Power of the Command Line
- 3.1 Archiving Files on the Command Line
- 3.2 Searching and Extracting Data from Files
- 3.3 Turning Commands into a Script
Topic 4: The Linux Operating System
- 4.1 Choosing an Operating System
- 4.2 Understanding Computer Hardware
- 4.3 Where Data is Stored
- 4.4 Your Computer on the Network
Topic 5: Security and File Permissions
- 5.1 Basic Security and Identifying User Types
- 5.2 Creating Users and Groups
- 5.3 Managing File Permissions and Ownership
- 5.4 Special Directories and Files
What Skills Does the Linux Essentials Certificate Validate?
Like any other IT certification, the Linux Essentials certificate validates the abilities needed for a specific job role. This is ideal if you want to learn about the fundamental features of the Operating System and get started with Linux.
- It will teach you how to utilize GNU/Linux as an IT professional or end-user.
- It delves deeper into essential subjects, such as how to operate on the command line (CLI).
- With a text editor such as Vim, you may create and edit text files.
- Configuring local hardware using graphical tools and CLI commands.
- How to write simple shell scripts with Bash under Unix/Linux operating system environments.
- This course will provide you with an understanding of open-source software in the workplace and its proprietary counterparts.
- The ability to install, use, and troubleshoot basic computer hardware and software.
- Use the command line to create, modify, and remove files.
- Backups and archives in a compressed format are often used to back up files on remote servers.
- Users, file permissions, and security access for public and private directories.
- Using simple scripts to create and execute.
It also covers the fundamentals of networking, including Ethernet and wireless connections. The Linux Essentials certificate validates the basic skills required for a career in Linux IT. These abilities may be utilized in both commercial and domestic environments. The certification is accepted worldwide and helps you get started in IT with a solid foundation of GNU/Linux knowledge that you may build on over time. This credential allows you to access unique services, such as member discounts, LPI’s online community, and more.
What Are The Benefits of Earning the Linux Essentials Certification?
The Linux Essentials certification is a gateway to a wide range of career opportunities in IT. This certificate can help you advance your current job or aim for a career in IT. The advantages of obtaining this diploma include:
- Validation of your skills and knowledge in Linux – The Linux Essential Credential is a vendor-neutral credential that validates your Linux knowledge and abilities. The following are some of the components covered in the Linux Essentials exam:
- Software Management
- Networking Services and Architecture
- Operating System Basics
- File, User, Group Administration
- Security Management
- Improved job prospects – The Linux Essentials credential makes you eligible for a variety of IT job positions. Linux is a popular operating system, and most businesses search for people who have used it before. The Linux Essentials certification can help you boost your job prospects and put you ahead of other candidates in the competition.
- Increased earning potential – Linux developers are in great demand, and businesses are ready to pay a premium for people with Linux knowledge. Earning the Linux Essentials certification may help you make more money and get a higher salary in the IT sector.
- Opportunity to learn from industry experts – The CompTIA Association offers the Linux Essentials certification. This implies that you have access to various resources, such as training materials and professional assistance.
- Access to exclusive resources and discounts – As a Linux Essentials certified professional, you can access special resources and savings. These tools may assist you in continuing your study of Linux and keeping up with the latest trends and innovations.
You may use the Linux Essentials certificate to your benefit in various ways. This credential can assist you in advancing your current job or searching for a new one. The skills and knowledge obtained as part of this certification are highly sought after by companies worldwide, so it’s essential that you take full advantage of them if you want to get ahead.
What Jobs Can You Get With the Linux Essentials Certificate?
A Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator can help you get started in a variety of job functions, including system administrator, network engineer, and web developer. This official certificate distinguishes you and indicates that you have a thorough knowledge of the open-source platform. Employers will notice that your company is more Linux-friendly, making you more attractive to them.
If you have some open source software and servers under your belt, you’ll be well-positioned for the following professional options:
Server and System Administration
In many organizations, Linux server administration is a crucial function. A Linux system administrator is in charge of the computer systems and networks that utilize the Linux operating system. They maintain these systems running effectively, install new software and hardware, monitor performance and security, provide user assistance, and so on.
System administrators can work in many sectors, including finance, healthcare, manufacturing, and education. The Linux Essentials certification might help you start as a system administrator or be a stepping stone to more advanced Linux certifications. If you want to pursue this line of work, getting your Linux Essentials certificate will provide you with a solid foundation of knowledge on which to build.
With the Linux Essentials cert under their belt, systems and server administration professionals may also enhance their abilities in the following areas:
- Dev Ops
- IT/ Technical Support
- Mobile Application Support
- NOC Operator
- Big Data
- LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Perl/Python)
Network engineers are in charge of a company’s networking infrastructure design, implementation, and maintenance. Network engineers work to ensure that all data is effectively transmitted between systems.
Network engineers are often divided into subgroups according to their areas of focus. Some may provide customer support, while others concentrate on high-level network architecture advice. Some network administrators maintain internal networks (intranets), but others support larger external networks such as the internet or WANs (wide area networks).
As it is with the popular Microsoft stack, installation and maintenance of Linux systems are complex. The Linux Essentials certification can assist you in getting started as a network engineer so that you may begin applying your skills immediately. If you’re interested in this line of work, earning your Linux Essentials certificate will provide you with a solid base of knowledge to build on before diving into more specialized training.
With Linux Essentials, Network Engineers can also enhance their skills in the following areas:
- Cloud Architect
- Microsoft Systems
- Data Analyst
Website development is the process of creating a website using programming languages and frameworks. They collaborate with designers, content providers, marketing experts, project managers, and system administrators to develop websites for other clients or firms.
There are two primary categories of web development: front-end (client-side) and back-end (server-side). Front-end developers tend to concentrate on the aesthetic aspect of a website, while back-end coders focus on making it all work. Back-end code runs on servers to serve users with relevant information based on actions they take, such as logging in or adding items to their cart, and so forth.
Web Developers can also enhance their skills in the following areas:
- Front End Web
- Back End Web
- Embedded Systems
How To Prepare For The Linux Essentials Exam
Preparing for the LPI Linux Essentials 010-160 exam is critical to passing it with high scores. Above all, the Linux Essentials Certificate will aid you in advancing to more difficult certifications and satisfying the demands of an open-source job within a business. There are several methods and techniques for getting started, but it’s up to you which one you want to use. These methods will assist you in becoming certified with as little effort on your part as possible.
Have a Study Plan
Creating a solid study plan is the first step toward preparing for the exam. To put it another way, you’ll need to conduct some research to identify previous exam patterns. It would help to compare notes on study materials and topics side by side. There’s a strong desire for a peaceful and focused attitude, which won’t cause any problems during learning. Furthermore, everything will fall into place naturally for you to comprehend and recall.
It’s a good idea to set aside some time in your day for study and practice. To put it another way, you’ll need to devote a certain amount of time each day or week to exam preparation. Furthermore, if you run your own firm and work full-time or part-time, make the most of your free time and prepare well.
LPI Study Resources
The LPI provides study materials to help you prepare for the certification tests. Furthermore, these study resources will assist you in preparing more effectively. Above all, the LPI’s website makes it simple to locate information on its study resources.
The LPI has released the Linux Essential version 1.6 textbook for the Linux 010-160 certification exam as part of their continued dedication to helping students prepare for IT exams more successfully. Furthermore, obtaining a Linux Essentials certificate is the best way to demonstrate your skills for your next career step or raise. Above all, this is a step toward more advanced LPIC Professional Certification tracks such as UNIX and Linux Systems Administrators.
Work With an LPI Training Partner
The Linux Professional Institute (LPI) has a list of approved training providers available to you. Furthermore, this may assist you in preparing for the test. Above all, these LPI Approved Training Partner (LPI-ATP) and LPI Approved Academic Partner (LPI-AAP) Programs provide high-quality training. MyComputerCareer is one such instance of a Training Partner that will give you all of the necessary training and resources to pass the exam with flying colors.
Practicing For The Linux Essentials Exam
The application procedure starts with studying for an exam. Next, conduct practice runs to help you achieve a high score. This will ensure your success in the test. Keep notes during study sessions and practice examinations.
Before being certified, take as many mock examinations as possible. Practicing for an exam is like going through actual-world situations and issues where time is of importance. Taking many practice tests next to studying from books or tutorials allows you to see any knowledge gaps and gives you extra time to consider those topics in-depth than before.
The Linux Professional Institute (LPI) 010-160 exam is required for the Linux Essentials certificate. Furthermore, this is a stepping stone to more difficult LPIC Professional Certification tracks. MyComputerCareer offers a variety of training and resources to help you pass the exam with flying colors. Finally, make sure you have a solid study plan in place before starting your exam preparation. Contact us today for more information!