How To Get An I.T. Job In The I.T. Industry Quickly Even Without Experience
Information Technology is a fast-developing, innovative and highly competitive industry. It’s also most lucrative and rewarding, especially for people who work on network infrastructure, hardware and, more recently, cybersecurity. Because of that need for a skilled workforce and the competition, it’s hard for new professionals to land an I.T. job in the I.T. sector. Or is it? Here are a few ways that can help you get a job in the I.T. industry quickly, even if you have no previous experience.
Start an Internship or Volunteer
Internships are ideal for people looking to get a job in IT. Even if you’re not a recent college graduate, I.T. educational institutions offer course programs from the most recognized names in the industry like CISCO and Microsoft, that fits your schedule. So, you can do it in your spare time and with a current job. Once you receive a certification from an education center, you can look for residency programs or apprenticeships. After a while, companies that offer them will either bring you on board or provide you with enough experience to secure a job at a different firm. On the other hand, volunteering is all about working at an NGO for some form of non-monetary compensation. However, the most significant incentive is the learning experience you will receive from working on large-scale projects with seasoned network security specialists or network administrators.
Seek Out Freelance Gigs
Freelancing has been hailed as the business model of the digital age. It’s no wonder then there are a lot of online platforms that offer remote jobs in I.T. to talented people who don’t necessarily require a great deal of experience. Platforms like Upwork, People Per Hour and Freelancer make sense for people entering into the industry. Here, clients offer small, short-term projects that require only basic knowledge of Network Infrastructure and Firewalls can give you a decent stream of revenue. In case you have some experience (but not enough to land a dream job,) consider visiting premium freelance sites like Toptal, Gun.io, and Scalable Path. They offer serious projects for top dollar and premier clients, so make sure you’re ready.
Be Active in the I.T. Community
Community engagement is a great way to develop a personal brand and catch the attention of recruiters. What you lack in experience you can make up with online activity on professional networks for developers. Use your know-how to share tips, ideas, best practices, or debate on new trends in cybersecurity. If you feel comfortable with that, create a profile on online community platforms like Stack Overflow, GitHub, or Google Developers to engage with other I.T. security engineers. Someone might notice and hire you just for your insightfulness.
Use Social Media to Promote Yourself
You are your most important brand. So you need to raise brand awareness and create a desirable image to land a job in the I.T. industry. And the best way to do it is to use social media. LinkedIn is the leading social network for professionals seeking work because it has the highest concentration of recruiters searching for talent. Focus 90% of your energy on creating a profile that stands out using best practices for job seekers to maximize your efforts. Then spend the remaining 10% optimizing your other accounts.
Invest in Further Education
Finally, consider investing in further professional development. At MyComputerCareer, we supply ambitious people with courses, practical training and certification preparation that ensure you land a job in the I.T. industry. Take our FREE IT career evaluation and start a new life (and career) as an I.T. Professional.
Based in Holly Springs, North Carolina, MyComputerCareer, Inc. is an innovative adult technical school with courses taught online and at its seven campuses in Indiana, Ohio, North Carolina and Texas. Students who complete MyComputerCareer’s rigorous Information Technology courses may earn up to 13 highly valuable I.T. Certifications in areas ranging from Operating Systems to Computer Networks and Cyber Security, certificates often required even for those with four-year college degrees. In addition, these courses form the foundation for students interested in obtaining an Associate’s degree from MyComputerCareer.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Check MyComputerCareer Out!
Want to see more? Or are you looking for I.T. certifications like Comptia A+, CompTIA Net+, CompTIA Server+, CompTIA Server+, CCNA, CCENT, Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), CEH and others? Come on over and check us out!