Cisco is the most common Networking services supplier for many organizations, and most of them will require Network Engineers, System Engineers, Security Analysts, and other job roles to manage their networking infrastructure. As a consequence, Cisco Certifications are going to be highly sought after in the future.
Cisco certifications are a fantastic method to enhance your job prospects and skills, but they have expiration dates. Cisco offers three types of certifications: the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), the Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP), Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE), and the Cisco Certified Design Expert (CCDE).
There are now more Cisco certification alternatives to give you the freedom to invent and re-imagine yourself to make a real difference in the jobs you perform at work. At MyComputerCareer, we include the Cisco Certified Network Associate credential in our cybersecurity expert training because Cisco is the world’s most dominant network routing and switching business. We feel that this education will help you establish a long-term career as a professional working in the field of Information Technology. For more information, contact us today!
This article is about how long Cisco certifications last and how you can recertify for these credentials.
How Long Do Cisco Certifications Last?
Cisco certifications are valid for three years once they have been earned. The continued validity of each certificate is extended for an additional three years whenever recertification requirements are satisfied. Throughout this period, there are no requirements to keep the certification active.
However, candidates will have to recertify to extend their certification status for an additional three years. Cisco recertification can be done with either Cisco recertification credit or by passing the same Cisco certification exam again.
Recertifying for Cisco certifications is a simple process, and with Cisco’s Continuing Education Credits, it’s even more so.
Cisco Recertification with Continuing Education Credits
The most important part about recertifying is that you can do so by using Continuing Education Credits. These credits allow you to recertify without having to take the same exam again!
The Cisco Certification Program provides certification holders with a variety of options to recertify while still obtaining new knowledge and improving their skillset. Candidates can recertify current Cisco certifications within three years of passing a qualifying exam, earning Continuing Education credits through specific item categories, or both before their certificate expires.
Candidates must enroll in the Continuing Education Program portal and accept the Continuing Education Terms and Conditions to recertify with CE credits.
You may earn Continuing Education credits by purchasing qualifying goods in the following item categories:
- Instructor-led Training and eLearning classes are completed by completing eligible courses.
- Taking part in Cisco Live technical sessions
- Participating in exam item writing
You may renew your current Cisco Certification with the Continuing Education program while furthering your lifelong learning and professional development goals. You’ve already been a highly trained network engineer for some time, so maintaining your expertise up to date and well-rounded is more important than ever.
The Continuing Education program motivates all Cisco certification holders to continue to enhance their skills and knowledge to stay competitive in the industry. It is advised that you participate in the program to discover other technology routes in the world of Cisco certifications (e.g DevNet or CyberOps) for greater skill and career advancement as a best practice.
Maintaining one’s Cisco certification is vital for many individuals in their job roles and career advancement. With that in mind, candidates are encouraged to plan for recertification once they have achieved their Cisco credentials.
Getting an early start may help you relax while on your way to recertification, as well as decrease the chance of any last-minute surprises that might result in an expired certification. So don’t put it off any longer; get started right away!
Here are some critical factors to keep in mind while preparing for recertification:
- Keep an eye on your certification status and expiration date using your Certification Tracking System profile.
- Familiarize yourself with the Cisco Exam retake policy. There is a waiting period before you can retake a failed test.
- There are no time extensions available for certification expiration dates, so candidates must give themselves enough lead time to complete the recertification requirements.
What Are Your Recertification Requirements?
Individuals must satisfy recertification requirements before their certification expires. Individuals who have expired certification(s) must repeat the whole examination procedure in order to obtain active status. Because individuals may recertify at any time during the active period by advancing to the next level of certifications, obtaining continuing education credits, or a combination of both
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
CCNA is Cisco’s entry-level certification in Cisco networking. Individuals who hold this degree are prepared to deal with the initial planning, design, implementation, and management of Cisco networks. To recertify for the CCNA, you will need to do one of the following:
- Retake the associate exam
- You may take any one professional specialty examination.
- Pass the core technology exam
- Pass one of the expert-level written exams
- Pass one of the expert-level Lab/Practical exams
- Earn 30 CE credits
Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
The Cisco Certified Network Professional certification validates understanding of network administration and support in a distributed environment. To recertify for the CCNP, you will need to do one of the following:
- Retake and pass any one professional concentration exam
- Pass one technology core exam
- Pass one expert-level written exam
- Take one expert-level Lab/Practical exam
- Earn 40 CE credits
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
The Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert certification demonstrates advanced knowledge of Cisco networking. To recertify for the CCIE, you will need to do one of the following:
- Take any one of Cisco’s expert-level written exam
- Pass one of Cisco’s expert-level Lab/Practical exam
- Take and pass any three separate professional (CCNP) concentration exams
- Take one technology core exam and pass any one professional concentration exam.
- Earn a total of 120 CE credits
- Earn 40 CE credits and pass one technology core exam
- Pass two professional concentration exams and earn 40 CE credits
- Pass one professional concentration exam and earn 80 CE credits
Cisco Certified Design Expert (CCDE)
The Cisco Certified Design Expert certification validates advanced skills in Cisco design and implementation. To recertify for the CCDE, you will need to do one of the following:
- Pass one of Cisco’s expert-level written exam
- Pass one expert-level Lab/Practical exam
- Acquire three separate professional concentration exams
- Pass one technology core exam and pass any one professional concentration exam.
- Earn 120 CE credits
- Earn 40CE credits and pass one technology core exam
- Pass two separate professional concentration exams and earn 40 CE credits
- Pass one professional concentration exam and earn 80 CE credits
Cisco certifications last for three years. Cisco provides candidates with the Continuing Education Credits to recertify without retaking an exam. Still, some exams can expire before you get all of the CE credits needed to recertify.
Nevertheless, they are all worth the effort. By starting your career with the CCNA, you will be on your way to Cisco’s specializations and beyond. Cisco is one of the most popular networking companies globally, so you will not be at a loss for job opportunities with Cisco certifications under your belt—the sky is truly the limit!
The CCNA credential does not require any previous knowledge and is one of the most popular CISCO certifications. It will provide you with a solid foundation in network management. If you want to pursue a career in this sector, MyComputerCareer can help you. Contact us today for more information!