Over the past decade, the I.T. industry has become one of the largest in the world, valued at a whopping $5.2 trillion across the globe. In the United States, the industry is worth around $1.7 trillion, or nearly a third of the entire global market share. And unlike most other industries, Information Technology has remained relatively unscathed during the COVID-19 pandemic. In fact, some even go as far as saying that it thrives. According to the Market Data Forecast, the I.T. industry has been in a serious upswing during the pandemic, with businesses favoring remote work and conferences over face-to-face interactions. The same thing can also be said about the eCommerce industry where online purchases have seen a 59% growth rate in a matter of weeks.
The conversation about online learning has traditionally been centered around the misconception regarding its credibility and effectiveness. Yet, in today’s world, which has been severely disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, online learning schools seem to have become the norm, particularly in the developed world. It’s now safe to say that taking an online education course is no longer just about personal preference and availability; it’s also about necessity, as it allows students to continue their learning program despite the disruption. To that end, we’ve put together this article to explain how online learning platforms work in I.T. certification.
The Two Main Methods of Online Learning
Probably since the appearance and proliferation of the internet, people have been learning online. However, in more recent times, organized forms of learning in the form of certificate programs have been introduced. Below, we’ll be looking at these two forms of online professional development.
● Solo Learning
According to a 2018 survey by HackerRank, around 27.4% of all developers are self-taught. In addition, some 37.7% also said that they’ve supplemented their Bachelor of Science or another form of formal education with an online course or have, otherwise, taught themselves.
Admirable as it may be, being self-taught is not the most efficient way of becoming proficient in information technology. In fact, the majority of those who have studied by themselves have done so since they were in high school or even earlier. In other words, they’ve spent years learning the craft, bit by bit, and by the time they became adults, they had enough experience to consider themselves, at least in part, specialists.
However, for those who don’t have the same amount of available time on their hands or are looking to change their careers, this approach to online learning may not be an option. In addition, individual learning can also mean that you’ll be spending months learning from outdated or inaccurate material. If the information comes from multiple sources, there can be a lot of confusion and frustration before the online student makes heads or tails of the correct path.
● Organized Certificate Programs
On the other hand, online courses and certificate programs offer the benefit of the traditional classroom, combined with the individual control and flexibility of remote accessibility. This means that online students will be in a far better position to manage their time and resources, while also receiving a quality education. What’s more, they will be able to request more information whenever they need it.
The majority of online institutions, similar to on-campus programs, will provide their online students with their full support in the form of course material or in the event that any problems should arise. What’s more, students and teachers can interact with each other, something that isn’t possible with individual learning. Networking is incredibly important during this time, as it can provide you with numerous employment opportunities in the future.
The Benefits of Online Courses and Certifications
With the number of online courses and certification opportunities on the rise, it’s now the perfect time to attend online classes. There are also plenty of benefits to doing so. Below are several of the most important reasons to get an I.T. post-bachelor certificate online.
- Cost-effectiveness – When compared to a public or private higher education, online degrees and certifications are a far more cost-effective option. In fact, the cost of a 4-year degree at a public college is around $19,000. When it comes to private colleges, the cost can reach as high as $39,500. By comparison, the cost of online studies can be anywhere between 50 to 70% cheaper. And when it comes to accredited education centers, the cost is even lower than that.
- More Time Available – An online education provides students with the possibility to save a lot of time. Be it a several month-long program or a full-length course, you won’t have to spend time on-campus or going back and forth between your house and the college. With online programs, you can focus more on your work, family, or other interests, as it allows flexibility and doesn’t limit you to specific times.
- Certificates Provide Credibility – Unlike self-taught individuals, who may or may not possess the necessary skills and knowledge to be considered a professional, a certificate program will actually prove that you do. Most employers will take this into account and will almost always choose someone with a certificate over someone who doesn’t.
- Flexible Scheduling – Having the ability to choose when and where to study for your I.T. certification is yet another benefit of choosing an online program. Without the need to attend classes in person, you can do so when you feel most comfortable or when you have the time. You can also do so from home, a local coffee shop, or from anywhere that has internet access. This is particularly useful if you are employed or have a family and can’t afford to spend several months or years away on campus. What’s more, you can plan and organize your long-distance learning in accordance with your preexisting schedule, making sure that you won’t neglect your other responsibilities. The same thing will apply to your exams, which you can schedule when it’s most convenient for you.
How Online Learning Works
While we can’t speak for all other online education institutions out there, we here at MyComputerCareer provide all of our students with an I.T. training that’s specifically designed to fit your lifestyle, without having to sacrifice the quality of your education needed to launch a new career in Information Technology. Our programs are created to be completed in as little as seven months. They can also be extended to up to 11 months if you have other obligations, such as a family or a full-time job.
And even though you will be studying remotely, you will not be alone in your studies. You will be able to stay in contact with your fellow students and professors, asking questions and exchanging ideas. We also provide a wide array of innovative instruction methods that will ensure that you get a more hands-on education, regardless of the fact that you’re not on-site. Among these delivery methods and resources for online degree programs, we can include:
- Live Streaming Classes – One of the major drawbacks of taking courses online is that you often have to deal with recordings. While these are useful and educational, this method of teaching and learning doesn’t facilitate any interaction among fellow students or between students and instructors. However, with our live-streaming classes, you will spend between 8 to 16 hours per week in a virtual classroom, learning from an instructor and having the possibility to ask questions in real time. You will be able to take part in discussions, just as you would in a traditional classroom.
- Hands-On Labs – With our practical, hands-on labs, you will be able to practice what you’ve learned, first hand, putting your knowledge and skills to the test. After all, learning a practical skill is not just about the theory; you also need to know how to apply it in practice. You can participate in these labs on your own time and have the opportunity to get immediate support from one of our instructors if you need it.
- One-On-One Mentoring – Aside from your lead instructor, you will also have access to mentoring instructors who will work with your class to provide a more personalized form of tutoring and mentorship. They will be available during both regular hours and outside of class time, assisting you with any information you may need to pass your certification exams and succeed with your computer sciences online degree programs.
At MyComputerCareer, we offer live online I.T. training for in-demand certifications that can land you that lucrative career in the tech industry. We are based in Holly Springs, North Carolina, and we have an innovative adult technical school with courses taught online and at our seven campuses throughout North Carolina, Indiana, Texas, and Ohio. We are also specialized in providing live online training for those who choose the remote option.
Our rigorous Information Technology courses can help you earn up to 13 highly valuable I.T. Certifications in areas ranging from Operating Systems to Computer Networks and Cyber Security. These certificates are often required by employers, even for those with four-year college degrees. In addition, these courses form the foundation for students interested in obtaining an Associate’s degree from MyComputerCareer.
Find out more about degrees and certificate programs, when classes start, technology requirements, credit transfers, and our academic calendar. Contact us today to land yourself a job in I.T. before you know it.